Friday, July 17, 2009

American Slavery with a New Face

Before I get into this blog, I have to get something off my chest. For a while there was a gap in contributing to this site, for a few reasons. One is that there are way too many Internet personalities exploiting themselves for reasons amounting to nothing more then vanity and self indulgence. I don't need to feed my ego in some passive aggressive way, and hiding behind a computer screen serves that type of coward (and/or narcissist) well.
I am trying to do some good; spread some knowledge that I would like to know myself. And this blog is an example of just that: revealing civil rights issues (as one example) so that people can learn, then act.
I took an American History class recently at the college level. My high school history classes were a waste of time. The unstable racial environment from my near inner city high school made it difficult to talk about issues of inequality. The mention of such a powerful topic could ignite the class in fighting. In college, they don't shield you from reality.
The idea of owning people for free labor never ended. That's a fact. It morphed into a different form, in a new free labor system with a euphemistic name: Prison. And with racial profiling and institutional racism (ex: crack cocaine carries a longer jail sentence then cocaine) sadly one can still say that racism is barely dying in our modern society. But this blog's focus is not racism; it's focus is on free labor. Forcing another human being to work against his will.
The abolition of slavery result was very similar to the days when it was legal. In the absence of a function people come to depend on, new methods of achieving the same result will surface. In this case, slavery's end created a surge in prison populations. Directly following this surge, giant corporations made deals with these prisons facilities for free labor. Prison is little more then systematic corporate slavery. It's a business in itself.
If you want to find out more on corporate involvement in the American prison system, ask a professor of history (or sociology). Our history lesson skimmed this issue, and everything in the lecture I put in this blog. Since I don't want to embellish or state incorrect information, this is all I know on the subject. I know that corporations pay a fee to the prison systems for free (or extremely low cost) labor. I know that after slavery was abolished the rate of crime skyrocketed to meet the quota of labor. Criminals are the new slave. And in our modern society it's more then barbaric. It's pure greed. Our 'capitalist' country is capitalising on the mistakes of the poor to increase their wallet size.
America's prison system is corrupt. Now that we know this problem exists, lets think of ways to abolish this new slavery. Money should never be generated in sweat, from the back breaking work of less fortunate people.

No comments: