Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Belgian Symbolist: Fernand Khnopff

Gustave Moreau: Oedipus 
and the Sphinx, 1864


Hands down, my favorite artist is not Fernand Khnopff. It's Yves Klein. And I've wrote more then one blog about that martial artist, French, highly spiritual genius who died of a heart attack in his early 30's.
---------------------------------------

At twenty, I was assigning the beauty I did not know that I possessed in myself to other people; I treated the "idea" of them as if knowing their secrets rested my entire salvation.

During this phase I did great things- always alone. I would take the Redding train at 3 a.m. only to visit the MOMA in San Francisco. The third floor was my favorite. There was a ritual around the trip. Dress well. Drink one cup of black coffee. Limber my thoughts and....off she goes!

There was the eye candy of the Germans. My favorite art visually is watercolor with black pen on grainy paper. Dreamy. Then there are concept pieces. And the best can mix both or stay polarized. Fernand Khnopff, a Belgian Symbolic painter, did both.

Khnopff created angelic, golden paintings. His specialty is piercing eyes. Visually he is on cloud 9. But what I loved the most was reading about his life. He loved his sister in a very strong and righteous way. Most of his paintings are on his sister.

During this time period of me in my 20's, I innocently stalked a man who was, by all means, more beautiful a soul then me. He launched balloons with hand written letters inside them asking, "Are you the one for me to love?" I mention him because he had a tattoo of his only sibling- his sister. I thought he was so wired in life. All my life, I've only been an observer. Not because I don't want to get out in the World (sacred words get capitalized) and LIVE, but because I am so cripplingly insecure. Now that I am starting to adjust to my looks, I'm damn near old enough to run for President of the U.S.of A. I spent my 20's not understanding the concept of power in youth and beauty.


No comments: