Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm very happy to announce that...

Lou Reed's album "Berlin" has been made into a film coming out this Friday, July 18th. Relax Batman fanatics (myself included); you can still be first in line to see what I've been waiting a year to see: Batman: The Dark Knight. Why? Berlin is only playing in L.A and San Fran this Friday. Who knows when this independent film, by my favorite director Julian Schnabel (Basquiat, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly), will be released. But it looks awesome. Berlin has always been one of my favorite albums; it's a rock classic and highly underrated. "Caroline Says" is painfully gorgeous. That was back when Lou Reed had a soul. A tormented one. Check out the trailer for Berlin yourself and get excited right away:

http://www.berlinthefilm.com/

As a side note the director is somewhat of an icon as well. He painted and held shows at Mary Boone's gallery in the 1980's. He hobnobbed with Madonna and Andy Warhol. He has only made four films, this being the fourth. I've been a fan since his first movie; I was 17.

*Here is my funny random fact about a connection between Andy Warhol and Julian Schnabel that I assumed to be true because Warhol hated him. In the Andy Warhol diaries, Julian Schnabel is mentioned in such a negative light, and often, in the most comical ways. Warhol once ranted about how he steals ideas from going to other people's shows and Schnabel was right behind him. That's one of many disses to Schnabel in the Andy Warhol diaries. I'm sure that Julian Schnabel read that famous diary and felt embarrassed and insulted. So when Schnabel directed his first movie, Basquait, Andy Warhol (played by David Bowie) is portrayed as an idiot. A major space cadet. Someone who is out of touch with reality. But I read his diary: Warhol had a brilliant mind. I assume that was Schnabel's revenge for public slander.

Anyway, I'm so excited to view this film. Lou Reed was one of the best. Rock till you die!

No comments: