Sunday, June 29, 2008

Women As Vampires


At 20 years old my entire life took a weird turn and even though my energies went in strange directions it has always been those electrical surges that guided me. So it is no coincidence that my first art history class inspired me to think I could do anything, be anyone. At 20, through art history, I saw one image that got my imagination flowing. This image was a blue painted print of a real woman's naked body on a canvas, with blue paint imposed to make her look like an actual vampire. The subject: women as vampires.

That's cool in itself but the artist, my favorite for the past ten years, Yves Klein, was more then a one dimensional producer of art. He wrote volumes of books about the spirituality of the blue paint he used and how the blue he chose was a metaphor for the human spirit. Human light. The soul.

Yves Klein is difficult to research, in part because he died so young, but try to google him if you want exposure to fresh, life affirming art to celebrate.

No comments: