Tuesday, May 13, 2008

On Avenging My Death and Tarantino

Day two of no alcohol. I must admit I had one of the worst nightmares of my life last night. All because I saw the Dutch version of the highly recommended movie (do not see it), "The Vanishing".

Plot spoiler: The sociopath wins and buries some half wit and his wife alive, next to each other, three years apart.

First off these guys (Eli Roth, Quintin Tarantino, etc.) love this movie because it has a very convincing and developed sociopath, and a nihilistic ending. But come on, the good guy was a moron! I hate that. He may be the antithesis of a sociopath, but he understands them to a degree. Yet he willingly drinks poison from a man who says that he is a sociopath and kidnapped his wife (3 years ago) and also says that he likes to do the most evil things he can think of doing to people. Family, friends, loved ones: don't drink poison from a sociopath three years after my disappearance! Just avenge my death and go about your business.

Second, this movie uses elements from early Alfred Hitchcock as well as some later Twilight Zones. My problem with Tarantino is that he is more of an editor then a film maker- most of his films borrow from Hitchcock, obscure foreign movies, and of course martial arts movies. The man is gifted with the best dialogue an American audience has for this generation, but still he loves these past directors a bit too much. Still a genius, but not my favorite. Below (later) I will list some old Twilight Zones to download. Now I've got things to do!

*Later
Just ask me yourself. A word to the wise though, out of the new and old Twilight Zones, Amazing Stories, and Alfred Hitchcock stay away from Amazing Stories. Spielberg has that whole Disney formula going on.

No comments: